Current:Home > StocksChainkeen Exchange-First Republic Bank shares plummet, reigniting fears about U.S. banking sector -WealthRoots Academy
Chainkeen Exchange-First Republic Bank shares plummet, reigniting fears about U.S. banking sector
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 18:57:08
It was a brutal day on Chainkeen ExchangeWall Street for First Republic Bank, as investors sold off shares as fast as they can in light of financial disclosures earlier this week.
On Monday, First Republic released its earnings report for the first three months of the year, and those results stunned Wall Street.
The California-based lender said it lost more than 40% of its deposits in March, as customers moved billions of dollars elsewhere.
In a statement, CFO Neal Holland called those deposit outflows "unprecedented." Credit Suisse bank analyst Susan Roth Katzke said they "have seriously impaired the earnings power of First Republic."
At one point during the trading day, shares dropped below $5. Just six months ago, First Republic Shares were trading for nearly $150.
On Wednesday, the stock closed down almost 30%, at $5.69.
Like Silicon Valley Bank and Signature Bank, First Republic, which was founded in 1985, catered to wealthy individuals, and many of its deposits were too large to be insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC).
After Silicon Valley Bank and Signature Bank collapsed, the federal government effectively insured all deposits at those two banks, but regulators didn't commit to backstopping uninsured deposits across the board.
As of March 31, the percentage of uninsured deposits at First Republic had shrunk to 27% of total deposits, according to the bank.
On Tuesday, there was a sharp selloff of First Republic's stock, and on Wednesday, trading was so volatile the New York Stock Exchange halted trading of the bank's shares an astonishing 16 times.
For weeks, First Republic has tried over and over again to reassure its customers and investors, to no avail.
Immediately after Silicon Valley Bank and Signature Bank collapsed, First Republic lined up additional financing from the Federal Reserve and JPMorgan Chase. Then, on March 16, 11 of the biggest banks in the U.S. gave it a lifeline.
That consortium, which included Goldman Sachs and Wells Fargo, agreed to deposit $30 billion at First Republic.
"This action by America's largest banks reflects their confidence in First Republic and in banks of all sizes, and it demonstrates their overall commitment to helping banks serve their customers and communities," those firms said, in a statement. "Regional, midsize and small banks are critical to the health and functioning of our financial system."
Financial regulators, including the chairs of the Federal Reserve and the FDIC, applauded the move.
"This show of support by a group of large banks is most welcome, and demonstrates the resilience of the banking system," they said, in a short statement.
On Monday, First Republic said deposits stabilized shortly after the announcement, but investors continued to worry about the bank's longterm viability.
"We are working to restructure our balance sheet and reduce our expenses and short-term borrowings," CFO Neal Holland said, in a statement.
First Republic announced plans to cut costs, by laying off 20-to-25% of its workforce in the coming months, and reducing its real estate holdings.
On a call with Wall Street analysts after the bank released its earnings, CEO Mike Roffler said he has been in close contact with state and federal regulators.
veryGood! (57)
Related
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Shawn Barber, Canadian world champion pole vaulter, dies at 29
- A reported Israeli airstrike on Syria destroys a building used by Iranian paramilitary officials
- Sundance Film Festival turns 40
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- As the Northeast battles bitter winter weather, millions bask in warmer temps... and smiles
- 121 unmarked graves in a former Black cemetery found at US Air Force base in Florida, officials say
- Trump’s attorney renews call for mistrial in defamation case brought by writer in sex-abuse case
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- A diverse coalition owed money by Rudy Giuliani meets virtually for first bankruptcy hearing
Ranking
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- David Oyelowo talks MLK, Role Play, and how to impress an old crush
- Why Jillian Michaels Is Predicting a Massive Fallout From Ozempic Craze
- 'Manic cleaning' videos are all over TikTok, but there's a big problem with the trend
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- 13 students reported killed in an elementary school dorm fire in China’s Henan province
- Air pollution and politics pose cross-border challenges in South Asia
- New Rust shooting criminal charges filed against Alec Baldwin for incident that killed Halyna Hutchins
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Women and children are main victims of Gaza war, with 16,000 killed, UN says
911 calls from Maui capture pleas for the stranded, the missing and those caught in the fire’s chaos
Palestinian death toll soars past 25,000 in Gaza with no end in sight to Israel-Hamas war
As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
Massachusetts man brings his dog to lotto office as he claims $4 million prize
Ohio is poised to become the 2nd state to restrict gender-affirming care for adults
Why Jillian Michaels Is Predicting a Massive Fallout From Ozempic Craze